Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Wrapped in Warmth

marie antionette spring fashion vintage inspired pink green brass necklace jeweledambrosia jeweled ambrosi
A Royal Affair Necklace by Jeweled Ambrosia

I was up until 3 am listing/photographing/designing new jewelry last night, so my post today will mostly be a compilation of other wonderful posts and thoughts, since my creative side is pretty tired right now!

Now, I read The Nester's blog and love it to pieces. Earlier in the week, she had a great post about weighing the pros and cons of your craft, and if it is worth it or not. She really does a great job at pinpointing a lot of important factors. I am going to elaborate on the financing part. (doesn't she have a lovely craft room?)

craft sewing room cottage shabby chic

I also started my business without going into debt. As a matter of fact, we don't even have a credit card. I know! This is how I started my jewelry business. I put random furniture, baby clothes, toys, maternity clothes, electronics... on Ebay, Craigslist and second hand shops like Kid to Kid. If I lived in a house, I would of had a garage sale (or three). I cut some friends hair. I stopped making frivolous purchases (wasn't doing that much anyways.) I made about $400 and I used that to buy my supplies. Also, I traded with some supply sellers to get a little bit of items as well to experiment with.

I felt really guilty about using that money, not knowing what would happen, but then I had to remember that I was decluttering the house, and that is always a good thing! Now, I only purchase supplies after I have a sell, so my Paypal account is my ultimate decision maker for me.



Alicia Poulsen over at Posie Gets Cozy has nailed one of my favorite Indian food recipes. Chicken Tikka Masala and naan. Now, she shares lovely photos and the recipe, oh yay! So THIS POST serves to share the nummy yumminess with you, but also to bookmark it for me!

esoule lobster with flower fine art photograph
Lobster and Flower Fine Art Photograph by esoule

One last thing I needed to say. I think, we have a tendency to be quite hard on ourselves. If you are anything like me, you expect a certain level of tasks to always be completed and in good order. Some days, I will out do myself, all the laundry, all the dishes, all the dusting/vacuuming, packaging and shipping, blogging... but then I am too deflated to take care of what matters most... My sanity, my spirituality and my family. I absolutely love this video (talk by Elder Jeffery R. Holland, more short inspirational videos like this HERE. )The message really brings to light what is the most important in this life. Perfect reminder on demonstrating love for friends and family. Watch it with your family. Hold hands. Make brownies. Play together. Don't yell. Teach each other. Pick flowers. Fold laundry together. Be nice.



I think that if you start your day with a prayer for thanks, comfort, and a plea for help, search your scriptures, and meditate on your important tasks first, then the others will soon follow in line.

Also, it is important to pace yourself. Not all can be accomplished in one day. Set realistic goals. If you are a list maker like me, a list can accomplish two things.

1. Helps you to realize all that needs to be done.
2. Makes you feel like there is no way you can do all that needs to be done.

So, take your list and break it down. Put the important things first. Tackle each thing one by one, careful to rest and spend time with your family or self during the breaks. Mark them off as you go as well, and treat yourself for accomplishing those tasks.


vintage alarm clock from 26 Olive Street

If you are an internet junkie like me (my blog and business IS on here after all)... set a kitchen timer and when that thing rings, turn off the computer, and do your next task. Sometimes, that loud, obnoxious buzzing sound is the only thing that can pull you out of the abyss of the internet!

Treat your happy home and family like the lovely little cottage dwellers that you can be.


Dwellings by Petite House

Lastly, I want to share with you this absolutely amazing tutorial by Cathe Holden of Just Something I Made. It is an iron on transfer leather wallet, complete with step by step instructions and images, click HERE.


Peace and warm thoughts of banana bread to you all!

10 comments:

Lemon Shortbread said...

Great post, very helpful! Thanks for visiting my blog too, I love yours!

Chanda said...

Beautiful post - thanks!

Kristen said...

Thanks for the post, I'm going to check out The Nester's Blog.
What a great way to raise money...I don't have a credit card either~I've found they can get you in too much trouble :)

p.s. I added the following widget♥
Thanks!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

A very helpful post. Although I don't craft, It helped me other other ways and gave me some great ideas!

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Aisha said...

Another fabulous post that leaves me feeling warm and fuzzy :)

I operate the same way you do, only buying supplies when I have a sale, though I wasn't quite as creative as you when I started up...I took out an interest-free loan from my husband!! I am almost done paying him back...I wanted to do it that way so that I could get into the business frame of mind

Hey Harriet said...

Chicken Tikka Masala is my all-time fave Indian dish. Yummo! Thanks for the link to the recipe. Off to check it ouit now :)

Lovely post :)

Caitlin said...

mmm... banana bread. I think we have some bananas..

Your blog is lovely! So warm and peaceful. Thanks for leaving your link for me to check it out!

God bless you!!
CaitiJo

BlondesPoopMascara.blogspot.com said...

Great post. THanks for stopping by my blog....and thanks for saying Happy Anniversary! And Happy Anniversary to you guys as well. It looks like our boys are the same age. You have such an adorable family! Hope to see you around again!

Blessings!
Crystal

aurora said...

Lovely post, as always.

I finally posted Maddy's spring formal pics. Go have a look! (I wish that I would have taken more pics of her hair...)

Thanks again, you're the best!

Connie said...

Ohmygosh, honey, you could be me!!! I love the crafts and pictures. Let me borrow some of the photos to advertise your stuff on my blog. I'm always thinking of ideas for blog posts and I think your craft room is darling. I'm snagging it but won't use it unless you let me. Go to my profile page and my email is there. Email me and let me know if that's okay with you. I just try to make it harder for the spammers and weirdos out there!! Thank, sweetpea.

xoxo,
Connie

Related Posts with Thumbnails