Monday, May 17, 2010

Homefront: I'm Going to Miss This Place


 I'm going to miss this place. We have been here for 6 months. It's a 2 bedroom apartment, but we got very lucky. This little room right there, is the patio. But, on the 3rd floor layout, it is an enclosed extra room. I love the massive window, the extra space for my little computer area.  Just when I was starting to feel settle, deciding on window treatments and maybe even a new computer chair... my husband lost his job.



The reason we got this place, is because we also got a great discount on it from his employer. So, not only did our income become zero, our rent went up a few hundred dollars. Fortunately, since he was non-disciplinary terminated due to no fault of his own, we get some unemployment, though we only have 4 weeks of it left. And our wonderful church has helped us out with groceries, and keeping us encouraged as well.



 So, in a few weeks, our family of 4 will be moving in with the in-laws. We've done it before when we were pregnant with our first. At that time, we decided not to renew our lease on the 400 sq ft apartment we were in so we could get a 2 bedroom for the new baby. Just as we were going to put down a deposit on a place we had been looking at, Hurricane Katrina hit and all of the evacuees came here and took all available apartments. We were homeless and moved in with the in-laws for several months. It was rough.



Fortunately, they are kind and gracious people, but that doesn't mean things will be easy. I will miss all that we have built together and wondering how and where we will end up. Starting out all over again is difficult. Not to mention living out of a bedroom with most all of our belongings in storage is hard enough. And being cramped and not feeling like the ruler of your own home is difficult, though I will focus less on that and more on how grateful I am of all that we do have. I am fully aware things could be much worse.


Our home is more than a place... it was a start of something new, a joy, finally feeling like we had a fresh start and things were just beginning to take off. We were just beginning to make friends and find ourselves out here. I had finally decided on what I was going to finish college in, so that is going to have to wait again.


Our oldest was about to start preschool for the first time. It was the first time in the last 7 years we have felt settled and in a city where we were known for us and not as our parent's children.


Before we go, I'm going to do what I can to remember it. Before we pack everything in boxes, I am going to try and finish what projects I can without having to buy anything. Then I can leave here with no regrets.


So, expect to see lots of pictures of this place in the next few weeks. Then, when I am feeling sad and alone and crazy, I can remember that I did have a home at one point in time. I did have dreams and they were starting to come true. Maybe it will help me remember that it can happen again.


Besides, it will be good to leave this city. I won't have the temptation of going and throwing rotten eggs at my husband's jerk of a former boss's office window. And, I suppose, that is a good thing.


14 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Oh, I had no idea! I hope that it's an easy transition for you. I know how hard it is to leave a place you love.

undomestic mama said...

I'm so sorry. I know this must be a difficult time for you.

Jessie said...

This is what I am going through right now. It helps me to read this, because it reminds me that I am NOT THE ONLY ONE going through this. Having to move when you don't want to and losing all your money over night. My husband has joined the Air Force to better our future. I may end up living with my in-laws, not sure yet. Our house will NOT sell and I lose hope everyday. Everything happens for a reason though and I know things will work out for me. I am sure it will for you also. Just another bump in the road. :)

Anne said...

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. I know how hard it can be on a family when Dad loses his job. Take heart. The darkest part of night always comes before the dawn. The Lord will provide.

Nicole said...

I am so sorry! I experienced something similar when I had to move back in with my parents at 26 years old for a year. Though it was hard and long, it passed and it will pass for you too. I will be thinking and praying for you!

Screwed Up Texan said...

Oh no! Keep us updated...I hope we never have to go through living with my in-laws again (awful terrible experience).

Mary Killion said...

We're sorry to hear this bad news :( We'll keep you in our prayers. Good luck with the move--like you said, it won't be easy but you're lucky to have family who can help out. If there's anything we can do (even though we're far away), just let us know! Love you guys and miss you very much!

Bethann said...

I have been a follower of our blog for a while but this it’s the first time I have commented. I went through almost the exact same thing a little over a year ago. The economy left both my husband and I without jobs and we weren’t sure how we were going to be able to keep our house. We were blessed that my husband was offered a job but it would require us to move from the city where we were living back to where we both grew up. We were forced to move into my in-law’s home with our five dogs and put our house up for sale. We prayed every day for a fast sale but it took over six months. I was really depressed during that time. It was like my entire life as I knew it was taken from me without me being able to control anything. As hard as it was I forced myself to not give up and not let go of the dreams I had for my family. Just three weeks ago we took possession of our new house and even though we aren’t moved in yet, the end is in sight. From someone who has been there, don’t give up on your dreams. I won’t pretend that things will be easy but don’t give up. Whatever your dreams are, don’t let them die just because you hit a rough spot. It may not happen as fast as you like but things WILL turn around.

Audrey said...

Oh Lisa...I am so sorry!! You will be in our prayers. So are you moving back to our area??

Diana said...

Sorry to hear that! It looks like you're able to make a "place" a "home" very well though, so I'm sure when you find your own place you'll be able to make it a beautiful home!

Purely Paige said...

I love your eclectic touches! Especially all the picture frames above the couch! You will be happy that you took these pictures before you move and things will work out when you least expect it!

aurora said...

Gosh Lisa! I had no idea! I haven't blogged hopped in a while and was so sad to see this.

xox
Aurora

Dark Horse said...

I came across your blog just today. Sorry to know that your husband lost his job. I can understand how it feels, because last month, I lost my job too, when the company closed. After applying to some job ads, I got called for an interview in one office. I felt positive about it. When I got my last receivable from my previous office, I quickly paid my tithe to "seal the deal," remembering one favorite scripture in D&C 82:10. Now, I'm blessed to be working again. I know He'll provide for you and your family too. :-)

Marikoy
http://mareeyah.com/ako

Little Lovables said...

Thanks everyone for your thoughts! It is amazing how so many of us have gone through very similar experiences! Your insight and encouragement really meant a lot to me!!

As an update, we were unemployed 4 months, then he got a job to a city almost 5 hours away from our family.

But, living with my in-laws was a wonderful experience, and I am so happy I was there. We really grew to love each other even more and have made even better friends with them than before.

Now, it was tough saying goodbye and learning a whole new area, but we are excited and can't wait to go visit our family every few months.

Related Posts with Thumbnails