Friday, July 22, 2011

Homefront: Spray Painting an Upholstered Chair Makeover

After reading Little Green Notebook's fabric spray painting adventure, I automatically went and ordered their upholstery spray paint (on ebay from Tie Dye Girl because it was a tad cheaper). I used a total of two cans on this chair, but I still need one more can because I didn't get the back of the cushions yet, and there are a few more spots that need touch ups. So, maybe two more cans. Which says a lot about me, because on their site, they demonstrate on a whole couch with only 6 cans. (But, I don't recommend for a huge couch. Also, if the fabric has a pattern on it, the pattern will show throguh just a tad. It still wouldn't be as ugly though, but a nice monotone pattern color.)

Our friend gave us this chair, and I actually love it. It's huge! But, I am not a fan of the colors, plus my boys have stained it so badly. I've been covering it with my wonderful vintage granny square afghan, but now that is being torn apart and will need repair. I've wanted to slipcover the chair, but I don't sew, nor do I have a staple gun... though the Hello Giggles girls have a cute alternative requiring fabric and safety pins that I may try later.

The hubs kindly volunteered to help.

I'm rocking an all black outfit, turned inside out, just in case. My toes didn't escape the paint, however.

The neat thing about this paint, is it can be worked and smoothed into hard to get areas with a cloth.

The drips are easily wiped off with a damp rag. I will be sanding the wood down and painting it white later, so I'm not too upset about any paint that remained.

And, because my nail polish got destroyed by paint speckles, I gave them a little gun metal finish. (Yes, I am aware I have a disfigured toe, you can't see it, but that toenail is painted too!)

For my little dream catcher piece, it's just a cheap canvas with a Dollar Store dream catcher pinned on it. I put foam poster board on the back of the canvas for pinning different objects to my canvases when I tire of them. Like my ephemera canvas art tutorial here.

Look, my painted armiore, I don't think I've shown that yet! It still isn't finished ;)

linked to:
Chic on a Shoestring Flaunt it Friday.
Shabby Chic Cottage Transformation Thursday 
Fingerprints of the Fridge Feature Yourself Friday
The DIY Showoff
I Heart Naps Sundae Scoops
Sugar and Dots What I Whipped Up Wednesday
(not at Frugalicious Friday's Linky, but had to share anyways) 

8 comments:

Unknown said...

What a fabulous piece! I am also NOT a fan of sewing. Love the armoire :)

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

What an amaaaazing product! My mind is all a-buzz about things I could spray with that stuff!!

I LOVE your make over. It's come out brilliantly!

And, speaking of loving things: I LOVE your blog! I've signed up to follow you.

Thank you so much for linking up to my 'Paint, Please' link party.

Sarahx

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I love learning that there is a paint for fabric. I am thinking of a few things I threw out before our recent move . . . that might have made the cut. . . with fabric paint.

Nice work on a beautiful chair.

I am popping over from Sarah's great paint party. (Link #34)

Fondly,
Glenda

Anonymous said...

I found you on the Paint Please linky party and am sooo glad I did! I never even knew spray paint for upholstery existed, and I've got 2 antique wingback chairs that I want to paint and was gonna try to do it with a brush and watered down regular ole paint. But I'm gonna go this route instead! yay!

Nat at Made in Home said...

Popping over Sarah's Linking party. This is a great makeover!

Michelle said...

I don't sew either and I've been anxious to try out some of this fabric paint on my setee.

Jessie said...

Thanks for sharing. I will have to check out that paint for sure! I love that little corner in your home! Everything looks so great. :)

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

It came out great! For some reason the idea of fabric paint has frightened me. Thanks for showing me there's nothing to be scared of :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails