Friday, October 23, 2009

A Little Lovables Halloween

 the husband is not a fan of the spider and crow, ha!

I feel like my Halloween decorating is completed enough to show you now. I did have a few other cute little surprises, like a flock of birds flying in a v formation that I stamped to our central mirror... but it has already been smeared to an inky fog by my toddlers, and frankly, I'm just too tired to redo it.


I tried to stay away from orange, and do more of an elegant black, white and creme theme like last year, but orange snuck in here somehow, so I just went with what I had. I tried to mix the harvest style with spooky without messing up the themes too much. I'm an all or nothin' kind of gal, so this harvest/Halloween mash up was a major step for me.

found this vintage brass owl family at a garage sale for $1 a few weeks ago!

For the pumpkin in a mirror project, those are from those child's foam decorating kits. While the boy had fun making his own, I thought I would do something a bit kooky-classy. I got this old frame from a garage sale last month and painted it white. It naturally distressed in that time from my lack of putting it anywhere safe.

 

I hot glued a black ribbon to the back (can easily be unpeeled later). Then I made my foam jack o lanterns. But oooo-wie... too dang orange for my sore eyes! So, I got some black ink (for stamping) dabbed it with a paper towel, removed the pumpkin faces and smeared the ink around, emphasizing it around the edges. I reapplied the faces, but wouldn't stick well to the ink, so I hot glued them on. Then, I hot glued the pumpkins to the ribbon! It fit perfectly in that little odd space in my display.

the only good thing about that desk, is using it as a vignette surface ;)



This is the pumpkin carriage thingy I adore that I painted! I added a light up jack o lantern inside, crystals, and a pocket watch. It did have little mice on it, but they disappeared somewhere. All I need is a glass slipper for a Cinderella display.


  I saved $6 on this. I really wanted the more expensive flowers, but settled for these, hey I'm trying! The vase I got at Goodwill and the bird and berries were all clearanced items. I can really jazz it up later after Halloween for more of the harvest look. You can see a making of the floral arrangments here:



And there is Frankenstein and his bride. The husband thinks they are too scary. I contemplated painting them a little shabby chic style to ease that scare factor? What do you think? Oh, and her head fell off. E6000 saved the day.

I love that pedestal pumpkin. It's glass and a clearance hobby lobby find. So cute and chic and no need to paint! Although, the pedestal part would look pretty nifty black... hmmm...


Another angle of my long counter top that is really useless except for knocking into it and getting heinous bruises. A junk collector too. I am pretty sure my decorations fall under the "junk" category as well. Sorry husband of mine!


This here shadow box I got from Viv's Whimsy Halloween swap. I love it! So cute, the velvety curtain with pom pom fringe and vintage image are so pretty. Oh, and that's a page from Twilight that skeleton is standing on :) Thanks Michelle from Chaos Cottage for making me this!!


The one I made her was a little ghosty fellow in chains with little flying black birds inside of a wooden coffin.

I thought I would show you some previous years Halloween costumes for your viewing pleasure.


 
Sonic boy as Mr. T. He loved it and so did everyone else! We used mascara for the 'do and I sewed clearance Homecoming chains and junk to a yellow terry cloth bib, so it was light and comfortable to wear.


Seriously, I threw all 3 of our outfits together in 15 minutes, as I was rushing out of the door to go to a Halloween party. Bad momma, I know. But, the boys loved being scarecrows! I wired a nest with eggs and a bird to the eldest and put hay things and feathers in their pockets and sprayed his hair all crazy like. Of course, we had to have red triangle noses and freckles!  The overalls I wore were my mom's from the 70's. I wore them for hippie day in high school during homecoming week. They have hippie patches on the bum, and a band one called "Up with People"  I know, funny stuff!


Well, this Halloween, we are going as candy corn (that would be me), Sonic the Hedgehog and his little red buddy, Knuckles, though the oldest is intent on his little bro being a witch. Weird! You can see more of how these costumes turned out here.




14 comments:

Mrs.Spy said...

I especially love the Christus staute overlooking your decor,lol.

I've loved all of these posts, your home and family look great. WTG!

Little Lovables said...

He is on top of the fridge... funny :)

Anne said...

All of your decorations are GREAT! Do you wanna come to my house and do mine?

BTW...I used to LOVE Up with People !!! Now, how funny is THAT!?!

Threeundertwo said...

I know a pair who were in Up With People and got married. I LOVE your decorations! I adore the carriage.

I invite you to link up to my "Finished for Friday" so my readers can see your fabulous accomplishments!

Steffi said...

All the pics are fabulous, especially your family pic *is beyond cute* :D

Little Lovables said...

thanks :)

erika sorocco said...

Oh, I want you to come over to my house and decorate for Halloween. You have a knack for creating the cutest holiday displays - I can only imagine what you do for Christmas!

You and your family are the absolute cutest - each and every one of you are gorgeous. Love this post, Lisa! :)

the NEO-traditionalist said...

What an adorable family! The decorations are insane---how did you find all this stuff?! I haven't done anything to our place yet, you put me to shame : ) I 'll have to get to work this week! Hope you had a lovely weekend!
XXX Kate

Lori said...

you have a gorgeous family...your mr t is cracking me up, SOOOOOOO adorable:) thanks for stopping over to visit me!!!

M said...

Love your Halloween feature, and congrats on a great blog in general. (I bet your kids LOVE all the seasonal stuff you do with them!)

Keep up the good work, and I'll definitely be stopping by during the holiday season to see what you're up to. (I'll be posting something on our Christmas Market here in Stuttgart in November; Europe's biggest and prettiest!)

Take care,
Michael

Melly Mel said...

seriously, your family is adorable. so beautifullllll all of you.
i can't believe how creative you are.
such a pleasure to read your blog.

Eye Shutter to Think said...

Those brass owls are awesome. LOVE them. Your blog rocks, so much fun, many ideas & just enjoyable all around

Pink Spectacles said...

Hi! I just wanted to tell you that I am absolutely in love with your website. Your decorating/cooking/creativity skills are astonishing and you have such a beautiful family! I saw all of your cool little crafts and a picture of your family dressed up for Halloween and I said, "She's GOT to be Mormon!" (I am as well and I am aware of our obsession with crafts and cooking.) Looks like I was right! Haha, keep up the good work!

JRS87 said...

Love IT were did you find the Carriage for your pumpkin?

Related Posts with Thumbnails