Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Homefront: Mid Century Finds

 
I got this cute little mid century two tier end table a month or two ago for $7 at Goodwill. Then, a few weeks later, I saw this Lane mid century modern chest there for $50. It locked and I didn't see the key, so I talked them down to $30. Anyways, got it home and realized we could still open the lock by pushing it in and turning it, and the key was discovered inside the chest tucked neatly inside it's little envelope.

I'm considering moving the chest at the foot of our bed though, my boys are having a grand ole time scratching the heck out of it. I'm hoping to look around for a coffee table that I don't mind getting beat up, that maybe I can give a chippy paint job to. I put that linen fabric scrap on top of the chest to help, but you know how that goes with two little ones! I love a hodge podge look in my home, but at the same time, I don't want to look like everything I own is from a garbage heap, you know?


Also, I adore this chair, really I adore all chairs. Our wonderful friend gave this to us because it was just too big for his place and he prefers more of the streamlined, IKEA type design. I would like to paint it and reupholster it, or slipcover it somehow. The back cushion would be easy, then maybe do just a simple skirt for the bottom portion, similar to this below. Where can I find someone to tackle this sewing job? If you are a seamstress, contact me and I'd love to work something out. UPDATE: I spray painted the blue chair with awesome black fabric spray paint. Looks so much better! See it here :)

style files

I saw some adorable mid century club chairs the other day, $5 a piece. I desperately want them, but they too would need to be reupholstered. I am wondering how to go about that, as the cushions don't look like they screw off or anything. Sometimes, I wish I was all powerful, ready to outfit any situation, staple gun, orbital sander and fabric tacks on the go. I will consult this country living upholstery guide and think about it. But for now, I feel largely inadequate for the goals I have for this place. Perhaps I just need to refocus my energy. Easier said than done, I presume.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

There is nothing better than a good vintage find! I love the chest!

Ms. Blasé said...

I can't thank you enough for the kind words of encouragement that you left me yesterday. They were truly a blessing. And the video clips were absolutely wonderful. Stay the sweet and talented person that you are and continue to allow God to use you to touch people as you have touched me. Thank you.

Jessie said...

Great finds! You should paint that chair it would look so cute! I hate sewing, so I can't help you out there! lol

Ms. Blasé said...

Hi, again :) I just nominated you to receive the 7 Facts Award. I hope you can drop by and accept it! Have a wonderful weekend!

http://adultawkwardness.blogspot.com/

Miss365 said...

I adore mid century furniture and that chest is amazing! I'm slightly green with envy ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails