Friday, March 12, 2010

Homefront: White Slipcovers and Touches of Aqua


I've talked about my slipcovers before, but never really showed them to you in much detail.

I love how versatile they are, I can change my style throughout the year by simply rotating pillows and pillow slipcovers, adding maybe a throw or whatever. By changing out simple accessories in your home and maybe art on your walls, is a good way to take you through different seasons, or to change your scenery every once in a while. I rotate most of my decorations throughout the year. I prefer decorating with only one or two colors at a time, right now, it's aqua and a soft green.


Even though I have a busy and active family (that enjoys snacking on the couch) and little boys that enjoy writing on the couch with yogurt and ink pens... I find it surprisingly easy to take care of.


Before I had slipcovers, the boys ransacked the couch cushions on a daily basis, my bones hurt just thinking about how many times a day I put those couches back together. This was my life pre-slipcovers and pre-bungie roping my kitchen chairs to the table legs in our old apartment. (I also bungie rope my fridge and oven shut ;)


I wash the slipcovers about every 2 weeks with detergent and bleach, though I will be switching to maybe borax or oxiclean since bleach can gray out whites and deteriorate fabric over time.

I made a baking soda and water paste and applied them to stain spots, let it sit for about 30 mins or so, then added the slipcovers to the wash with some detergent, about a 1/2 cup of baking soda and a tad of bleach.


They come out great and if there is a stain that doesn't come out (which is inevitable), it usually fades after additional washes.

Really, I love the casualness of them, how much better I feel that I can just clean them (I'm a little ocd about unwashed couches... really you wouldn't lay on a mattress without a sheet, would you?) and how versatile they are. It's more affordable than buying a whole new couch set as well.

The slipcovers I have are the Pottery Barn box pleat in white. They don't always carry them in white, so I found mine on amazon and ebay. The sturdiness of them are nice because it helps keep the tucks better than a stretch type slipcover. I have these Surefit covers in taupe too, and though I love them, they do come untucked easier. I've read, that rolling up a magazine and tucking it in the tucks help them stay in place better.

For more slipcover advice, I turn you to Holly from In the Fun Lane. She is the queen of living with white and has some great slipcover advice. Here she talks about maintaining a white home, and here on how to pick the right premade cover.



You can also make your own slipcovers as shown above from Nester. Pink and Polka Dot helped Nester make hers here... it really is just like piecing a puzzle together and sewing it. Using white duck, denim or canvas are great choices because they clean well, are comfortable and crisp, sturdy fabrics. 

Pink Polka Dot has a good tutorial on slipcovering a chair here and writes some great advice about making your own slipcovers.

I'm joining Pink's Slipcover McLinky party as well as Emily's Chatting at the Sky, Glimpses of Home party today, can't wait to see what everyone elses!

14 comments:

Kristina P. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Little Lovables said...

that's awesome kristina!

Low Tide High Style said...

I love slipcovers and yours are lovely! I'm sure you are happy to be able to throw them in the laundry every few weeks and that you don't have to re-assemble your couch everyday, kids do love cushions...mine used to do the same thing!!

Kat :)

Dale said...

Did you really use a jewelry hand as decor? That's awesome!

Lyndsey said...

I love all the letters on your mantle - I'm a sucker for oversized letters! I also like the "keep calm and carry on" poster in the reflection of the same picture, that's one of my favorite quotes! very very homey decor!

Amanda.Sedeno said...

Love the white slipcover. I have always been scared to use white with my kiddos, but you make it look so easy!! My couch is in Neeeeed of a new one, Rylee used his scissors to the arm of it and I am pretty sure the stuffing will start coming out soon.. Slipcover shopping is now on my list!

I Also LOVE the OWLS on your mantle :D
Ive been gone quite some time, but I cant wait to get back to blogger and check out your postings!

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

I love your slipcover! great job! and your twilight jewelry! ahhh...i'm a huge twilight geek! maybe when eclipse comes out, i'll have you do a giveaway on my blog...or maybe we can do one when the new moon dvd comes out next week. email me and remind me! seriusly!

Stacey said...

Lovely! I dream of a white Slipcover but I don't sew! That is the problem!

Contemplating Cadie said...

I think that the slipcovers look better on your sofa than they do on the actual Pottery Barn model!

Was your sofa from Pottery Barn as well?

{oc cottage} said...

WOW!

m ^..^

Stephenie from Decorating Addiction said...

I really like the aqua against the white. It really pops! Found you through A Soft Place to Land's mantel linky party. Happy Easter.

Anonymous said...

First time to your sweet blog via Kimba's Soft Place to Land but I will be returning! That little one did all of that with your cushions!? I love pleated skirt on your white slipcovers. "Sew" talented! I also like the mantel you created using whites.

Deborah
http://fairfieldhousenj.com/2010/04/03/flowerplace/

LittleLovables said...

@ Cotton Blossom, no the couch isn't pottery barn. A lot of their slipovers are made specifically for pottery barn sofas, but the one I got is a tie on fit, so it can work with other sofas as well.

Unknown said...

I'm just googling everyone's slip covers. Love yours! I just finished my very first slip cover ( I just posted it on my blog) I have the slip covering fever now! I'm on the search for a chair!

Related Posts with Thumbnails