Friday, November 21, 2008

Twilight Movie Review



Last night around 7 pm some ladies and I went to Olive Garden and ate a little dinner (a first girl's night out for a lot of us in "a while" please read Edward style). We then went to the theatre to see the midnight showing of Twilight.



Our theatre had about 4? theatres open for the movie. We got there several hours early and the rooms were pretty much full, so we sat way back and on the side... but that was better than in the very front. One uptight little blonde woman got thrown out of the crowd for cusing out the audience, it was rather hilarious!



The movie started out good, but soon turned a bit... awkward and it was a little weird, Edward was a little weird. The story just kind of moved from awkward dislike between Edward and Bella, and then all of a sudden they were in love... it didn't really show why or how that happened, so it was a little sad for the book readers and probably really confusing for non book readers. I have to say first, that I am really happy I read all the 12 chapters of Midnight Sun, it really offered a lot of perspective that made you feel more like an "insider" on Edward.



But, after all of that awkwardness wore off, the characters settled into their skin and it was a great show. Bella and Charlie had some great moments as well. The cast was pretty much perfect in my opinion... but poor Jasper, looked more like Edward Scissorhands than anything else, I actually felt a bit of pain of embarrasment for him more than once. But I TOTALLY blame the director, not him!!



Alice, Emmett, Rosalie, Jacob, the "bad vampires"... all did their parts perfectly... even though their parts were pretty non existant! I mean, some made up waitress at a diner who was not even in the book had more air time than sweet Alice! I am not even going to go there, it's just too depressing. I really wish Alice would have tricked Bella into getting ready for the prom, Alice decorating Bella up for events she hates is a big part of both of their characters.



Carlisle, loved him, although his haircolor looked, really... off, they added gray patches to his blonde hair near his temples and it looked weird. Esme was sweet, but not as sweet... she did not kiss Bella's forehead, not even once! The vampire make-up was a bit (okay a lot) atrocious in the beginning of the movie. Some serious cake make-up was used that creaked in their face lines, which is fine for stage (I have done many shows of awful cake make-up so I know what works) but definately NOT okay for screen, especially with HD and Blu-Ray technology. It was quite painful, but towards the end of the movie, the make-up looked a lot better.

The meadow scene was absolutely not magical, not romantic, sweet and sincere though, but not much more. Edward glittered a little, and his angry "I need to show you my skin in the sun" line was a little... weird.



Over all though, I enjoyed it! Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson did an excellent job and they had great on screen chemistry! There was a lot of banter and dry humor that I loved, the audience giggled and swooned at the right moments and really, there could have been more popular quotes and scenes extracted from the book and put into the script in place of unnessecary adaptations, but that was fine (or at least that is what I am telling myself).



Of course, I know some people LOVED it, some people HATED it, I am neither of these people. I thouroughly enjoyed it, will watch it again, but am a little saddened that it wasn't more awesome. But really, you can't please everyone!

Now, go and get this lovely vintage style, Swarovski crystal Twilight Bella bracelet I made! *hint hint wink wink

vintage style Swarovski crystal pewter wolf edward ullen bella swan stephenie meyer Twilight inspired bella bracelet

Note, lovely above images are from movie stills, various photo shoots and Entertainment Weekly photo shoots. Lovely, aren't they?!



(added in later) I have now watched this movie again, and I love it even more than when I first saw it! The first time, I was all uptight and critical, that it was hard to just enjoy it for the essence of what was Twilight, not knowing what would be added in and what wouldn't be taken away that I mostly watched for my favorite parts as opposed to watching they story they offered. But now, with the second time around, I was able to relax and enjoy it for what it was without the anticipation and critiscm already built up. Hope you know what I mean!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going tonight. Fully expecting some disappointment. I've never seen a movie that was better than the book. Still looking forward to it though. :)

Jo

Keys and Memories said...

I just saw it and agree with everything you have written!
Teenage girls giigling was not too bad but some teenager decided to bring her infant and sat down in my row- he ruined the kiss scene for me- guess it is an excuse to see it again!

Little Lovables said...

Any excuse to see it again is a good excuse!

Just remember, the more repeat tickets sold, the more chance that they will make the sequel, which will be awesome!

Unknown said...

"Alice, Emmet, Rosalie, Jacob... all did their parts perfectly... even though their parts were pretty non existant! "
I am so disappointed! I knew it wasnt going to turn out that great. I am kind of tempted to see it, just because my love for the book, but I feel they are going to fuck it up horribly. and I have my own view for the characters, and the only one that fits is alice, and shes barely in it! that sucks!

LittleLovables said...

She's not in it much, but she is awesome when she is, so don't keep that from stopping you :)

B/c for sure she will be in the sequels tons more!

Liz Harrell said...

Great run-down, I agree totally.

The Stewart Stuff said...

I saw it opening night an I think you did a great job describing the goings on. Cool pics, too. Fun blog!
-10oneworld on Etsy

aurora said...

I finally posted your gorgeous earrings! And a little plug for Jeweled Ambrosia... ♥

Ann said...

Haven't watched it yet but I'm planning to this weekend. I'm really curious at the hype this movie is generating. I hope I get to enjoy it as you did because most of the reviews about the movie are pretty lame.

Little Lovables said...

I gotta say though, I saw it for the second time last night with my husband (his first time to see it and yes he has read all the books and is almost finished with Breaking Dawn).

Anywho, I LOVED it the second time around, the meadow scene was still a little awkward, but my criticsm really calmed alot, and many may not believe this, but my hubby LOVED the movie even more than me! He even wants to go see it again AND he wants the soundtrack and to buy the movie as soon as it comes out and he actually WANTS to finish the book now without me bagging on him to finish it.

Weird.

Mama of 2 said...

I agree the first time I saw the movie I compared it far too much to the book I loved so much.
The second time I saw it I watched it for the pure enjoyment of viewing it.
I have to admit I am more than a little obsessed with the entire thing...probably too much for a 38 year wife and mother of 2...lol!

It's my plan to see it for the third time this Wednesday and I intend on going alone. I'll let you know my reaction -- maybe the third time is the charm.

Anonymous said...

I have finally got round to reading your review after you told me you had one too!

I agree with everything, I really liked Alice and yes! I wanted to see her dressing Bella! It is such a typical girlie thing, and Twilight is a girlie film so they shouldn't have left it out!

Thisishollywood said...

Hello,
NIce post i like it
A Hollywood party theme is one of the easiest to throw. This is because, most of the props and costumes most people tend to already have. It is important that for your Hollywood party theme, everything from the invitations, costumes, props, music, food and drink needs to be consistent with the theme.

Movie Reel

Jessie said...

I know this post is really old now, but when I saw it, I had to read it. The first Twilight movie is still my favorite. Which most people think is weird. I do wish they would have made it more like the book, but I thought and still think that casting has always been perfect. I enjoy reading the book now and picturing the characters as Kristen and Robert. I saw the movie first, then read the books. It's always been the movies characters for me in the books. I love it. :)

Darren Demers said...

Of course, I know some people LOVED it, some people HATED it, I am neither of these people. I thouroughly enjoyed it, will watch it again, but am a little saddened that it wasn't more awesome. But really, you can't please everyone! swarovski necklace australia , swarovski necklace chile

Related Posts with Thumbnails